Saturday, March 5, 2011

My Favorite Passages from Mere Christianity



Here are some of my favorite passages from Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis:
We believe in decency so much that we cannot bear to face the fact that we are breaking it, and consequently we try to shift the responsibility. For you notice that it is only for our bad behavior that we find all these explanations. It is only out bad temper that we put down to being tired or worried or hungry; we put our good behavior down to ourselves.
In religion, as in war and everything else, comfort is the one thing you cannot get by looking for it. If you look for truth, you may find comfort in the end: if you look for comfort you will not get neither comfort or truth—only soft soap and wishful thinking to begin with and in the end, despair.
Some people put up as version of Christianity suitable for a child of six and make that the object of their attack. When you try to explain the Christian doctrine as it is really held by an instructed adult, they say it’s all too complicated and that if there really were a God they are sure he would have made religion simple. Notice their idea of God making religion simple, as if religion were something God invented, and not his statement to us of certain unalterable facts about his own nature.
Repentance is not something God demands of you before He will take you back and which He could let you off if he chose: it is simply a description of what going back to Him is like. If you ask God to take you back without it, you are really asking him to let you back without going back.
The belief in the immortality of the human person has a connection with the difference between totalitarianism and democracy. If individuals live only seventy years, then a state, or a nation, or a civilization, which may last for a thousand years, is more important than an individual. But if Christianity is true, then the individual is not only more important but incomparably more important, for he is everlasting and the life of a state or a civilization, compared with his, is only a moment.
Every time you make a choice you are turning the central part of you, the part of you that chooses, into something a little different from what it was before. And taking your life as a whole, with all your innumerable choices, all your life long you are slowly turning this central thing either into a heavenly creature or into a hellish creature.
How could you hate what a man did and not hate the man? But it occurred to me that there was one man to whom I had been doing this all my life—namely myself. However much I might dislike my own cowardice or conceit or greed, I went on loving myself. There had never been the slightest difficulty about it. In fact the very reason why I hated the things was that I loved the man. Just because I loved myself, I was sorry to find that I was the sort of man who did those things.
When I come to my evening prayers and try to reckon up the sins of the day, nine times out of ten the most obvious one is some sin against charity; I have sulked or snapped or sneered or snubbed or stormed. And the excuse that immediately springs to mind is that the provocation was so sudden and unexpected; I was caught off guard. I had not time to collect myself. Surely what a man does when he is taken off guard is the best evidence for what sort of a man he is? Surely what pops out before the man has time to put on a disguise is the truth? If there are rats in a cellar you are most likely to see them if you go in very suddenly. But the suddenness does not create the rats: It only prevents them from hiding. In the same way the suddenness of the provocation does not make me an ill-tempered man; it only show me what an ill-tempered man I am.

2 comments:

  1. Had I known this was your favorite passage from the book, I would have put this in the newsletter instead of the other quote I put... :) This is good, though.

    ReplyDelete